Tampa Bay Area, Florida
|Tampa Bay Area Florida Sales Report, Existing Single Family Homes|
Tampa, St.Petersburg & Clearwater
|Realtor Sales:||Dec 2004: 4,341||Dec 2005: 4,119||-5%|
|Median Sales Price:||Dec 2004: $170,500||Dec 2005: $223,200||+31%|
View the complete Florida Sales Report and more Florida Real Estate Investment Information.
About Tampa, Florida
Welcome to Tampa Bay, where one is surrounded by beautiful beaches, crystal blue warm waters and exhilarating adventures. With sunshine almost every day of the year, outdoor fun tops the list of activities. An array of golf vacation rentals, vacation homes and second home real estate is easily found here. Originally Tampa Bay was the name for the body of water by that name. More commonly, Tampa Bay refers to all the towns that surround Tampa Bay, spanning 4 West Florida counties and including the city of Tampa, Florida. When you think Tampa, think Big, as it is definitely not your tiny backwater town at all. A multicultural city, with a thriving Hispanic population representing all different Latin American countries, Tampa is one of the first most diverse, integrated cities in the US. People often choose Tampa for retirement, and it's a popular family vacation spot as well, with theme parks and ocean leading the list of family diversions.
Located along Tampa bay are over 30 communities, each with their own assortment of second home options. Life in Tampa just seems to bring the best out of everyone…even Babe Ruth hit his longest home run ever when playing in Tampa. Imagine what you can do with your second home here.
The earliest settlers were Indians, with some farmers arriving in the 1700s. A military outpost in 1823 created the first settlement, with a variety of the small towns incorporated between then and early 1900s. The first hotel was opened in 1891. One of its early industries was the manufacture of "Cuban" cigars. Connected to Miami in 1928, more growth began, escalating in the late 1960s.
An Average Lifestyle in Tampa, Florida
Given the size of the area, there's just about every lifestyle here, from young families with children, to retirement folks. Due to the size, it's a bit more formal but definitely casual, even at night.
Things to Do in Tampa
Choices are infinite, from condo and townhouses to exclusive mansions. As everywhere, location, location, location determines the price. For example, Harbor Island, 177 acres between Tampa Bay and Hillsborough River, starts at $200,000 on up to $2 million. Bayshore Boulevard prices rise as high as $3 million. Some newer developments near the University might have an entry price at $150,000. Rentals are common, with entry price for 2 bedrooms below $1,000 a month. Best advice in an area as large as Tampa Bay is to work with a knowledgeable agent. Median House price for city of Tampa according to census 2000 was $81,500.
Cultural Activities in Tampa
- Golf at over 100 public and private courses
- Beach activities
- Theme parks, such as Busch Gardens
- Enjoy 10 county and state parks
- Gasparilla Pirate Fest
- Strawberry Festival
- Greyhound and Thoroughbred racing
- Enjoy professional sports
- Jogging and running Bayshore Boulevard, worlds longest sidewalk
- Canoe on the Hillsborough River among alligators, turtles and egrets
- Visit the manatees as Lowry Park Zoo
- Enjoy nightlife as the Latin quarter
- Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, and seven other performance halls
- Tampa Theater
- Museum of Art
- Tampa Bay History Center
- Henry B. Plant Museum and Twenty other museums
- Tampa Bay Hotel, National Historic Landmark
- Visit historic Ybor City
- Florida Aquarium
- St. Petersburg, across the Bay
Tampa Bay includes Hillsborough, Pinella, Pasco and Hernando counties in Florida. The City of Tampa is the largest city in Hillsborough County.
Distance to other major cities Miles (& driving times)
Hillsborough County has 1051 square land miles, and 24 square miles of inland water.
- Sarasota, Florida: 63 miles
- Orlando, FL 84 miles (1 hr, 19 mins)
- Daytona Beach, FL: 142 miles
- Miami, FL 278 miles (4 hrs, 38 mins)
- Atlanta, GA 460 (7 hrs, 5 mins)
Getting To Tampa, Florida
By plane into Tampa International Airport (TPA), by Amtrak or Greyhound or by car via interstates.
- Sunny, warm, with a fair share of thunderstorms and over 90 degree days in the summer. Generally a nice breeze cools things down.
- Annual Average Temperature: Average Low 63; Average High 82; overall 72
- Annual Average Rainfall: 46.7
- Population: City of Tampa: 321,490; Hillsborough County: over 1 million.
- Median Age, 2000: (County) 35.1, with 12% over 65
- Median Household Income: $34,415
- Tax: No Florida state income tax, but Hillsborough County has a 7% sales tax.
- University of South Florida
- University of Tampa